Wednesday, November 9, 2011

REMEMBERING "MY" VETERANS


2011 Veteran's Day will be celebrated this Friday, November 11th.  It's a time to reflect on the memories and honor all of those that served or are serving in our military.  I want to take the time today to reflect on MY veterans....the ones that were and are a part of my life.


First and foremost would be my daddy, Paul Braxton McDonald.  Daddy served in the Korean War and married my mother on his return in 1952.  I only know that he served at a Post Office while in Korea and did not actually see any war action.  He didn't speak much of the war other than the horrid conditions and the long trip to and from Korea on a ship filled with very young men.  When duty called Daddy left a job with Acme Cleaners in Fuquay, NC and on his return started his own dry cleaners in Lillington, a partnership with Billy Ray Matthews.  The only souvenir brought home was a beautiful handmade shawl which I took to school for a long forgotten project and failed to take back home.  I don't think my parents ever questioned it's whereabouts as it had been stored with those things one doesn't know what to do with but can't be thrown away.  Thank you, Daddy, for serving your country in what is sometimes known as the "Unknown War", as these young men and women didn't really know what they were fighting for.

I was in Jr. and Sr. High School during the Viet Nam war era.  I lived through the fear of friends and classmates being drafted in droves to be quickly trained at a six week boot camp and then shipped off to a faraway land where death and destruction were the news of the day.  There were protests in every large city and a peace movement that has yet been rivaled.  Many of these young boys were drafted and returned as men that had lost some, if not all, of the zest for life and fun they had once known.  I had one friend who did not return in whole, but in a flag draped coffin.  It's to this friend I honor on Veteran's Day the most.  Here's to you, Monroe Parrish....you have not been forgotten!  The memories of riding around the Tastee Freeze singing at the top of our lungs while listening to late night WOWO radio always come to my mind when I think of you. 



My hometown of Lillington, NC is located right outside of Fort Bragg...Fort Bragg is known as the home of the US Army Airborne Forces and Special Forces, as well as U.S. Army Forces Command and U.S. Army Reserve Command.  Because of this I grew up surrounded by young military couples choosing to live "off base" in Lillington.  They came and went through the years, but the ones that have always stayed on my mind the most were the young women left behind when their husbands were shipped off to Viet Nam.  Mostly teenagers they spent their days back and forth to Fort Bragg and Pope Air Force Base sending and receiving letters and without much moral support from neighbors who were strangers.  Many were pregnant and had their babies without close friends and family present to share in their joy.  Some received that much dreaded visit to the door informing them that their loved one wouldn't be coming home.  I salute these families as well and remember you this Veteran's Day.
 
I had a hero in those days, and he remains my hero although he passed away this past year.  Carlos Wayne Lanier...served 27 years in the Special Forces...and saw atrocities I never even want to think about.  Wayne could be the most fun person I had ever been around...but when the conversation turned to something bringing back unpleasant memories he could turn into a quiet and stern faced man.  It wasn't until years into my adulthood that I found out some of the things this dear man had encountered during his many years in the armed forces.  I can still see Wayne coming home with his little beret cocked to the side of his head and that "grinch" smile plastered on his face.  To you, dear Wayne, I honor your memory and the many sacrifices your family endured through your years serving the good old USA.  You will NOT be forgotten!
 
 
 
Now I have friends with children and grandchildren serving in our Armed Forces.  More sacrifices and lost time with family and friends....surrounded by fellow comrades in faraway places.  It is to these families and these young men and women that I bow my head and say a prayer for safe return. 

Please remember to  honor our veterans and those presently serving this Friday.  When you come across one of these unsung heroes...take the time to stop and shake their hand....and tell them how much you appreciate their time to keep our country free.  Whether you agree with the war (or wars) or strongly disagree, PLEASE show these men and women that they will not be forgotten and give them just a minute of your time to honor their sacrifices....not just on Veteran's Day...But EVERY day!

I PROMISE not to be sad for my next blog..but gotta end with this video clip.  Gotta love it!  Long, but I think it's worth the time:




Until next time.....Kristyemac


Now that you've visited with me how about TALKIN' to me?  Please leave a comment!

2 comments:

  1. enjoyed this blog, Kristye. Two Bunnlevel fellas, Melvin Jones' father and Fay Hall's brother were also killed during the Vietnam war. You may recall that Melvin's father was MIA for several months before they were notified of his death. I remember sitting in 8th grade class with Melvin while they waited to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Carolyn...I had forgotten both of those...What a turbulent time for all of our young men! I remember Randy and several of his friends waiting to join the Coast Guard if their draft #s were getting close to being called...Less chance of Viet Nam.

    ReplyDelete