Sunday, December 4, 2011

AN OCEAN DRIVE CHRISTMAS


Being raised in a small North Carolina town I feel right at home when Christmastime arrives here at Ocean Drive.  Driving down Main Street OD it's hard to tell the difference between here and Lillington, where I grew up.  There's the same lighted decorations and Christmas flags on every other light pole and the store fronts are all cheerfully decorated by the owners and their staff.  We have some great shops that SHOULD be bustling with holiday shoppers but everybody has headed for the malls.  I'm gonna do my shopping downtown. 



Beach Memories, owned by local artist Becky Stowe, has something for everybody on your list that loves Beach Music and it's history.  From Williams Lake to Pawley's Island, there are books, prints and framed artwork depicting memories of our youth.  You can spend $5 or $500, depending on your budget and your shopping list.  If you've never stopped in at Becky's shop plan to spend at least an hour. You'll still leave without seeing everything she has.



The new Clothes Center, owned and operated by Richard Taylor,  has some really good buys on designer clothes for men and women.  He has new merchandise every time I go in there.  My favorite thing he's carrying this season are his Tommy Bahama style silk camp shirts with Santas and other Christmas embroidery.  I LOVE them!  Richard is a likeable guy and takes the time to get to know his new customers.  You're not gonna get that at the mall!


Need something for that person who has everything?  How many of you folks that live in this area have never stepped into Two Blonds On The Beach?  These gals have some fun gift items, as well as clothing.  Never fails to put a smile on my face when I go in there.  Great prices, too!



If you live in Ocean Drive....or just come here for SOS...EVERYBODY has to visit Judy Collins at Judy's House of Oldies.  There's something there for anybody who loves our music.  If Judy doesn't have a CD or 45 that you're looking for she will get it and ship it to you.  Great selection of dance shoes and other dance memorabilia from yard flags to glassware.



I can't go in Hope Taylor & Company and leave empty-handed.  This shop has some beautiful items and also carries the Tyler Candles that I love so much.  The perfect place to shop for the ladies on your shopping list..and she has some good sale items all the time! 

North Myrtle Beach has a good variety of shops...all downtown...and we need to shop LOCAL and SMALL BUSINESS to keep our downtown alive and prospering.  It's not ALL about the clubs and restaurants.  Please consider shopping local, whether you live here or in another town.

Well, now....I guess I'm through with my "Chamber of Commerce" rant...Let's get back to why I love Ocean Drive at Christmas! 

Christmas kicks off here every Saturday following Thanksgiving with our annual Intracoastal Christmas Regatta!  How can you NOT get into the spirit of the holidays by bundling up.....joining friends old and new...whether at Captain Poo's...on the deck at Filet's...on the bank at the old swingbridge...or from the deck of a good friend's waterway home....sipping on hot chocolate or adult beverages...and watching the hard work these boat owners go to providing a wondrous light display on the waterway?  Kinda gets me all tingly inside every time I see it! My favorite memories of the Regatta are when my mother was still alive and living in a condo on the waterway.  We'd gather our chairs and flashlights....traipse out to the water's edge...and anxiously await the first boat coming down the waterway...always late, of course!  Flashlights are VERY important during this boat parade...whether showing your approval by madly swinging the  beam onto your favorite boat(s)....or shining the light onto your face while hollering to friends on the boats going by to show 'em it's really you hollerin' at 'em.  Mother always loved the Regatta and usually had a house full of folks partaking of her warm hospitality, cocktails and FOOD before and after. 

We still have an old fashioned Christmas Tree lighting and I am always amazed at how many folks come out for this.  Gets you in the real spirit of Christmas!  The town of North Myrtle Beach does an awesome job putting this together.  They have Santa Claus for the kids and complimentary hot chocolate for everybody.  This is usually the kid's first visit of the year with Santa and it's always fun to watch their eyes and smiles.  I always find myself singing Christmas carols to myself on the way home. 

Then it's time for the Parade!  We have one of the BEST small town Christmas parades....hasn't changed much in many, many years...other than getting larger.  We still have girl and boy scout troops... local churches with pickup trucks loaded down with kids...lots of fire trucks...local high school marching bands...small business homemade floats...lots and LOTS of golf carts...and of course, Santa bringing up the rear!  Beauty queens riding in convertibles...clowns...rescue squads beep-beep-beeping their horns..and local TV personalities!  Bring it on, Ocean Drive!  You just can't beat a small town parade where you know just about everybody in it.  I LOVE a parade!  Can you tell?

Usually by this time I have all of my decorations up and running...presents bought and wrapped...plenty of holiday food in the fridge and pantry...and nothing to worry about except which Christmas party to go to and what to wear.   Gonna be some disappointed folks this year, especially LouLou.  Luckily, if you've read my previous blog posts, I never took my tree down from last year...Yep...it's still up.  I plugged the lights back in last night and I think that's all I'm gonna get done this year.  No big parties planned...no time for shopping...and I just can't seem to find the energy to get the yard decorated or the rest of the house.  I am SO glad I left my tree up..and ya'll thought I was crazy!  Smart, if you ask me!  Tree looks just as pretty as it did last year when LouLou and Misty decorated it for me....thank goodness. All I had to do was knock the dust off of the bow at the top...Hehehehehehe!

Yessirree...Can't beat Christmas in Ocean Drive...I think I'll put on some boogie woogie Christmas music and chill out.




Remember the reason for the season, my friends..and until next time, dance on!



Kristyemac




I'm tickled pink you've read my blog...Now, won't you TALK to me?  Please leave a comment!








2 comments:

  1. I love to shop "downtown" too, Kristye. Unfortunately, there is so little left to shop in our hometown downtown. Merry Christmas! As you know Christmas is way more about who you are with than where you are or what you got!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your blog.. I grew up in a big city, so not as quaint as NMB or your home town, but we still had the lighting of The Christmas Tree & and would ride around the ritzy neighborhoods and see all of the beautiful decorations..Quite a show..Ah, those memories !!!!

    ReplyDelete